Welcome back! This month's contest theme may be a bit of a challenge: write a fan fiction from a second person point of view!
For clarification, in second person point of view (POV) the narration is told through the reader's perspective, using the personal pronoun, "you."
Most stories are told from first person (where the narrator is telling their own story, using the pronouns "I" and "me") or third person (the narrator observes the characters, and refers to them as "he/she/them/etc.") person points of view. Second person point of view is the least used in fiction writing, although it is more common in non-fiction. It is considered the more difficult POV to use well, especially in fiction. Some examples of this style are Jay McInerney's Bright Lights, Big City, and Sesame Street's There's a Monster at the End of This Book by Jon Stone. This style is frequently used in interactive fiction (such as Choose Your Own Adventure style books).
In fan fiction, several authors use the second person POV to write what are referred to as "reader inserts" stories (many in the form of "Canon character x Reader" romances where the author inserts fill-in-the-blank passages). For the purpose of this contest, I want to focus on the traditional second person POV use and not fill-in-the-blank reader inserts.
Your mission is to immerse the audience in your story. You may write the reader as a canon character or an original/fan character, assuming there are enough story details to infer which franchise the story takes place in (a Pokémon story should have Pokémon present, or a Transformers story should have giant transforming robots, etc.). Second person POV stories in fan fiction are not automatically categorized as reader inserts; you may write one if you wish (no fill-in-the-blanks, however), but are not limited to that.
- Your story must be written in the second person point of view.
- Your second person POV fan fiction must be specifically written for this contest and submitted after May 30th, 2014.
- The contest will run until 11:59 PM (Pacific Time) June 20th, 2014.
- One entry per deviant please.
- It is a fan fiction contest. All entries must be fan fiction. All fandoms are acceptable.
- All entries must follow deviantART submission guidelines! (No porn.)
- Either prose or poetry are acceptable.
- Maximum word count: 1,000 words. This is meant to be a short contest. I'm not looking for any epics.
- OCs are allowed but the franchise must be recognizable.
- Entries will be judged on proper grammar use, how engaging and entertaining they are and how well they incorporate their chosen theme(s). Please remember, although reader inserts are acceptable, no fill-in-the-blank stories.
- Please note me with your entry with the title "June Fan Fiction Contest" with your entry before the above deadline.
- Mention this contest and link this journal somewhere in your deviation or artist comments.
- Have fun! (Yeah, this one's not enforceable.)
- 1st Place - 1,000
- 2nd Place - 500
- 3rd Place - 250
- All entries will be featured in the winners' announcement journal, so everyone can enjoy your entries.